Documentation for GST_IS_ELEMENT

Mohammed Sameer msameer at foolab.org
Mon Apr 29 10:54:00 PDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 07:35:45AM -0700, Wes Miller wrote:
>  have an app with a bug deep inside a destructor.  I can't ge it to much
> narrow down the location as single stepping in the debugger and even adding
> print statements seems to alter timings and wash awasy my errors.  So I
> Thought  I'd try using /if (GST_IS_ELEMENT( someelementname ) then
> GstWhatever( someelementname )/.  But I'd really like to understand
> GST_IS_ELEMENT before I dig myself a hole.

That to me sounds like a reference counting issue. Most likely what happened
is that the reference count of the element was dropped to 0 thus the element
was destroyed leaving your pointer pointing to garbage.

Cheers,

--
GPG-Key: 0xA3FD0DF7 - 9F73 032E EAC9 F7AD 951F  280E CB66 8E29 A3FD 0DF7
Debian User and Developer.