HTTP plugin in pull mode with Apache web server

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 01:02:42 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 11:49 +0800, Suresh Kumar SHUKLA wrote:

Hi,

> I am using Apache web server (2.4) for playback of media files. From
> server point of view, it’s as simple as progressive file data fetch.
> Playbin2 by default, uses souphttpsrc plugin, which works in push-mode
> and is showing up problems in trick-modes.
>
> Is there an alternative for use with Apache web server in pull-mode?

On playbin2 set the "ring-buffer-max-size" property to 5*1024*1024 or so
for http URIs. That should enable a queue2-based ringbuffer in RAM for
many media formats (there's a whitelist somewhere, but it should work
for e.g. quicktime/mp4). That allows demuxers to operate in pull mode.
It will make fast-forward/reverse + seeking work much better on a local
network.

If you're still using 0.10, make sure to use queue2 from git (0.10
branch) and souphttpsrc from git (0.10 branch) - there were a few bugs
that led to data corruption in this mode of operation, but it should
work well with 0.10 git (and any 1.x version of course).

If you have a local file system with lots of free space, you could also
enable download-buffering instead (then a temp file will be created
where content will be downloaded/cached to).

 Cheers
  -Tim