RTSP Server problem

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Thu Aug 1 09:08:44 PDT 2013

I am working with the GStreamer RTSP server simply trying to relay an RTP
stream. Here is my desired pipeline:

 udpsrc port=%d name=RTPSrc !
application/x-rtp,media=video,payload=96,clock-rate=90000,encoding-name=H264"
        " ! rtph264depay byte-stream=true name=RTPDePay ! video/x-h264 !
h264parse ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96 )

This pipeline doesn't work in this context. This string is actually used to
generate the real pipeline which has the udpsrc port set. I have tested
this pipeline in a script where I added a udpsink to send the RTP to
another system to render. That worked fine.

This pipeline takes about 5 seconds to reach the prerolled state, though it
is a live pipeline. At that point it seems that VLC disconnects the TCP
connection (I don't know why but wireshark showed a TCP FIN). The video
source should be feeding an IFrame about once per second. The SPS/PPS
headers are re-transmitted every 3-5 seconds.

I did get a message that I don't understand.

(<unknown>:10559): WARNING **: ignoring stream 0 without media type

I substituted a test pipeline based on videotestsrc feeding the x264enc to
rtph264pay and that (sort of) worked. By 'sort of' I did get a couple of
frames displayed on VLC but there weren't many. It seemed like the stream
wasn't working well, which is confusing but a secondary issue at the moment.

Would anyone please care to comment on this issue? I am running out of
ideas.

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler