Request for guidance transcoding ripped DVDs with LTC in audio channel

Scott McCue smccue at whoi.edu
Mon Dec 16 05:27:00 PST 2013

Hello.
We have a large inventory of non-commercial DVDs. During recording SMPTE longitudinal
time code was fed to one of the audio channels. We are ripping the DVD media to produce a
video_ts folder for each DVD, which will in turn be transcoded to a single playable file. The
ltc is audible after converting the video_ts structure using handbrake. But audible is not
usable.

I would like to carry the time code information forward, either by writing the information to a
concurrent subtitle file or perhaps by imbedding into the computer file. It appears that gstreamer
is the tool kit likeliest to support this.

I hoping for suggestions to get started. Has someone out there tackled this or a similar problem
already?
TIA
SJM