Request for guidance transcoding ripped DVDs with LTC in audio channel

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Dec 16 06:05:02 PST 2013

On Mo, 2013-12-16 at 08:27 -0500, Scott McCue wrote:
> Hello.
> We have a large inventory of non-commercial DVDs. During recording SMPTE longitudinal
> time code was fed to one of the audio channels. We are ripping the DVD media to produce a
> video_ts folder for each DVD, which will in turn be transcoded to a single playable file. The
> ltc is audible after converting the video_ts structure using handbrake. But audible is not
> usable.
>
> I would like to carry the time code information forward, either by writing the information to a
> concurrent subtitle file or perhaps by imbedding into the computer file. It appears that gstreamer
> is the tool kit likeliest to support this.
>
> I hoping for suggestions to get started. Has someone out there tackled this or a similar problem
> already?

You mean the LTC data is in the MPEG PS container and marked as an audio
stream? Or it is there included into an existing, real audio stream?

In both cases you should be able to do this with GStreamer, but not
without writing any code and learning how to use GStreamer.

Basically you would get the audio srcpad on the demuxer for the stream
that contains the LTC data, and then would either grab this information
from there with your application and let everything else transcode as it
should. Or you could write an element that converts it into another
format (e.g. some subtitle format), and have that stored next to the
transcoded video or even included (depending on the container format).

Expertise, Straight from the Source