playbin2 using appsrc

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Dec 31 02:09:42 PST 2013

On So, 2013-12-29 at 22:46 -0800, James wrote:
> >> Why are you using appsrc for this btw, what's the plan in your
> >> application? There are multiple ways how appsrc can be used, and the way
> >> implemented here is not always the most optimal one.
>
> The reason I am using appsrc (besides the fact that I am a novice gstreamer
> user) is because
> I need to build an application that "http-gets" MPEG2 transport stream data
> in chunks(~98KB) each time
> and pushes them down the gstreamer pipeline; it's a customer requirement
> that I cannot change.
>
> Do you know of any other alternative?

Well, not much :) Only other solution would be to write your own source
element that reads in 98kb chunks. Or I guess you could also use a
normal HTTP source and put a rndbuffersize element with min=max=98000
after it (or write your own element that accumulates 98kb before
forwarding).

Expertise, Straight from the Source