Custom data handling

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 09:00:52 PST 2013

Gstreamer provides a LOT of ways for elements to communicate. Which
way is best depends on the type and use of the information you want to
pass. Just off the top of my head your options include:

1) Properties.  One element can configure another directly.
2) Custom Sources and Sinks. As mentioned above, you can invent a new
data class and create sources/sinks for them.
3) Capabilities. You can also re-use an existing data class and just
add new capabilities to it.
4) Metadata. You can tack extra data onto flowing buffers to say
something about those buffers.
5) Tags. You can create tags to send down the stream to annotate facts
about the stream.
6) Signals. One element can raise signals that are caught by a
callback that takes appropriate actions.
7) Messages. Messages can be sent along the stream from one element to another.
8) Events. Events can also be sent along the stream from one element to another.
9) Queries. One element can ask the upstream or downstream elements
for information it needs.

There may be even more. In order to know which is better, we'd need to
know far more about your application and its data, and its handling
needs.