Installing GStreamer Packages for developement in non Standard path?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 03:43:06 PST 2013

On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 03:24 -0800, smartksr wrote:

> Is it Possible to Install GStreamer Packages(gstreamer-0.10.31,
> gst-plugins-base-0.10.31, gst-plugins-good-0.10.23) in non standard location
> (Generally we will install in /usr/local) ?
>
> Because we want to test in different versions of GStreamer. So is it
> possible to install different versions in a single machine to non standard
> paths as following *(as against to default /usr/local)*:
>
> /home/gst-10.0
> /home/gst-zx.x
> /home/gst-xy.y

Yes, you can install different versions of GStreamer in differerent
locations. That's not a problem. You just need to make sure you set up
all the environment variables/paths properly so those versions are used
properly.

You can also use one or more "uninstalled" setups, see
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/UninstalledSetup

> When I tried Installing in non standard locations, it was prompted with
> dependent packages as they weren't exist in that location (By default they
> exist in /usr/local)

Not sure what you mean by this. Maybe you didn't set PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or PKG_CONFIG_PATH?

Cheers
 -Tim