gstreamer Python and cairooverlay

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Jan 1 04:04:33 PST 2013

On Sun, 2012-12-30 at 19:28 -0800, RoyWiggins wrote:

Hi,

> So, I'm trying to get it to work in GStreamer 1.0, which Jon
> suggested- however, it doesn't seem to have cairooverlay, even though
> I've installed gstreamer1.0-plugins-good from the developers ppa (on
> Ubuntu 12.04), it seems to be there in the source, but
> gst-inspect-overlay0.10 doesn't list cairooverlay, or indeed
> cairo-anything. I poked around the .deb and it does not appear to be
> there but I'm not very familiar with the structure of .deb packages. I
> guess the deb might be slightly out of juncture?

It wasn't ported yet. It's available in git master now, and should be in
the next release as well.

> (Also, gstreamer was complaining about the jack audio server not being
> installed- I installed the package from the Ubuntu main repo and
> started jackd myself and it worked, but it ought to be a dependency
> resolved by the gstreamer package, right?)

"GStreamer was complaining" - where/how?

If you're not usually running jackd, there's no need to run it or even
have it installed. If you're not using pulseaudio, autoaudiosink might
try jacksink next, which might cause some debug spew on the terminal
(from libjack I believe). You can safely ignore that. It should then try
alsa and friends next.

Cheers
 -Tim