gstreamer Python and cairooverlay

Roy Wiggins roywig at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:36:29 PST 2013

Tim-Philipp Müller-2 wrote
> On Sun, 2012-12-30 at 19:28 -0800, RoyWiggins wrote:
>
> It wasn't ported yet. It's available in git master now, and should be in
> the next release as well.

Awesome, thanks so much! I've compiled the master revision of gstreamer,
gstreamer-plugins-base (and -ugly, -bad) and I can't get videos to play... I
get an error:

I'm pretty sure I got the 1.0.4 tag working just fine at one point, though.
Might try that again and see if I can backport cairooverlay...

>> (Also, gstreamer was complaining about the jack audio server not being
>> installed- I installed the package from the Ubuntu main repo and
>> started jackd myself and it worked, but it ought to be a dependency
>> resolved by the gstreamer package, right?)
>
> "GStreamer was complaining" - where/how?
>
> If you're not usually running jackd, there's no need to run it or even
> have it installed. If you're not using pulseaudio, autoaudiosink might
> try jacksink next, which might cause some debug spew on the terminal
> (from libjack I believe). You can safely ignore that. It should then try
> alsa and friends next.
>
> Cheers
>  -Tim

It was saying that the jack server couldn't be started and then an error
about autoaudiosink also failing. It's strange because I am running
pulseaudio, and gstreamer 0.10 had worked just fine.