redistributable libraries

Angelica Perduta rsperduta at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 15:40:30 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Kyrylo V Polezhaiev <polezhaiev at ukr.net> wrote:
> Now, for Windows and OSX it's better to provide all the nessesarry deps in the one bundle with application.

Yes I understand that, but it is still a lot to include when trying to
distribute a very small utility. I don't even know all the dll's that
I actually need and the license says I can only distribute them when
the source code is included.

Having a closer look now, I notice all these dynamic libraries are
duplicated multiple times on my computer and they have vastly
different sizes. For instance picking just one if them at random I
have in the following:

C:\Apps\Glade3\bin\libcairo-2.dll
C:\Apps\GIMP-2.0\bin\libcairo-2.dll
C:\Apps\gtk\bin\libcairo-2.dll
C:\Apps\gst\0.10\x86\bin\libcairo-2.dll
C:\Apps\gtk\lib\libcairo.dll.a
... and others of similar name

I too would like to see other developers use this awesome gstreamer
package which will stimulate interest in developing better plugins and
codecs for the future.
However to achieve this I think we will want our end users to have a
simple, stable and consistent installation.
Preferably, (for the dynamic libraries at least) to be shared amongst
multiple applications.

So I suppose I better have another go at working out how to build this
latest version for Windows machine. Microsoft constantly changing
their project file formats isn't helping me in the slightest :'(