redistributable libraries

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 18:42:01 PST 2013

2013/1/7 Angelica Perduta <rsperduta at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Kyrylo V Polezhaiev <polezhaiev at ukr.net> wrote:
>> Now, for Windows and OSX it's better to provide all the nessesarry deps in the one bundle with application.
>
> Yes I understand that, but it is still a lot to include when trying to
> distribute a very small utility. I don't even know all the dll's that
> I actually need and the license says I can only distribute them when
> the source code is included.
>
> Having a closer look now, I notice all these dynamic libraries are
> duplicated multiple times on my computer and they have vastly
> different sizes. For instance picking just one if them at random I
> have in the following:
>
> C:\Apps\Glade3\bin\libcairo-2.dll
> C:\Apps\GIMP-2.0\bin\libcairo-2.dll
> C:\Apps\gtk\bin\libcairo-2.dll
> C:\Apps\gst\0.10\x86\bin\libcairo-2.dll
> C:\Apps\gtk\lib\libcairo.dll.a
> ... and others of similar name
>
> I too would like to see other developers use this awesome gstreamer
> package which will stimulate interest in developing better plugins and
> codecs for the future.
> However to achieve this I think we will want our end users to have a
> simple, stable and consistent installation.
> Preferably, (for the dynamic libraries at least) to be shared amongst
> multiple applications.
>
> So I suppose I better have another go at working out how to build this
> latest version for Windows machine. Microsoft constantly changing
> their project file formats isn't helping me in the slightest :'(

I would recommend you to take a look at the deployment section for the
GStreamer SDK:
http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Windows+deployment

We provide an easy way to share the installation among several
applications using a shared installation with the runtime version of
the SDK or either bundle GStreamer and its deps alongside your
application, deciding which components you want to include in your
package.
I would love to have a package manager on Windows too, but
unfortunately it's not there and most of the time the safest approach
is to bundle GStreamer. Other installations such as Gimp or Gtk might
provide the same shared libraries, but probably with different
versions and not API or ABI compatible and therefore clashing between
them with the well know DLL Hell. So sharing shared libraries across
them would be really hard unless all of them are built targeting our
SDK :)

Andoni

Andoni Morales Alastruey

LongoMatch:The Digital Coach