gstreamer with cairo plugin

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 06:33:22 PST 2013

On Do, 2013-01-10 at 22:18 +0000, Henry (Yu) Song - SISA wrote:
> Well
>
> First, we would like to update cairo plugin such that it is up-to-date,
> and maintained.  Second we like to to use cairo_gl_surface instead of
> image surface.  As far as I know our cairo-gles backend is the fastest
> one among all cairo backend.  It is maintained by me and is being
> actively optimized/bug fixed.

Which parts of the cairo plugin would this be? It contains (contained)
multiple elements.

Switching it unconditionally to GL doesn't sound like a good idea
though, it should only use GL if GL is used elsewhere in the pipeline.
Otherwise the overhead of uploading/downloading to/from the GPU is
probably too high.
But this can be done, is mostly unrelated to cairo though.

> Second, I would like to decode image into GPU memory directly with cairo
> gl backend as sink, such that we can either play it back much quicker
> instead of upload to texture and we can add overlay, which may also be
> in GPU memory, quicker.

This would require the decoders to either be able to decode directly
into GPU memory somehow or use GL... or it would be necessary for the
cairo GL backend to be able to map the GPU memory to normal system
memory for usage by other GStreamer elements.