How do I migrate to GStreamer 1.0.5?

Krzysztof Konopko krzysztof.konopko at youview.com
Tue Jan 22 01:52:01 PST 2013

Hi Ian,

I don't know how you can solve your problem with RPMs and frankly I
don't want to know.  As I said I don't like messing with RPMs if I don't
have to.  If I want to stick to what my distro puts in their repo
(Fedora 18) than I don't try to bend it.

I proposed you what IMO is a cleaner and better approach, i. e. build
from sources into a *distinct* location and be *consistent* with it.
With this approach not only you can switch between versions/releases as
much has you like but also you can apply and try patches on a daily
basis.  You can also hack around if you like and with help from git you
can branch and try different approaches.  Leave the original packages
where they are and as long as you don't intend to test your distribution
and its tools, stick to your local installation.  This way you can also
switch back to the original distro installation at any point to see if
something behaves differently.  That's my suggestion and it works for me
very well.

I responded to your original post rather than continue the RPM thread
that IMO is going nowhere.

Kris