How do I migrate to GStreamer 1.0.5?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 01:57:59 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 09:39 +0000, Ian Davidson wrote:

Hi Ian,

> I feel as though I am going round in circles getting nowhere.
> (..)
> I noticed that when 1.0.4 was released, within a day I was able to use
> YUM to update to the new release and it was easy.  1.0.5 has been
> released for 2 weeks now, but has still not appeared in the Fedora
> repositories.
>
> I first tried to download the sources from the advertised location, but
> (as described below) I could only do the core - the plugin failed
> becasue the core was not there!.  I was then told that I could get the
> new release from a location which appears to be part of Fedora, and by
> following the link, I could see where I could download the RPMs.  I
> downloaded the RPMs I particularly needed and tried to use YUM to update
> them - but YUM appears to complain about a 32 bit version of the
> software (I have only installed the 64 bit versions).
>
> Would it help if I removed all the packages of gstreamer1 I have
> installed and then install from the RPMs I have downloaded?

Have you tried asking in a Fedora-related forum or IRC channel?

This seems much more a Fedora packaging issue than anything else.

I've been told that 1.0.5 is in -testing and should be available as
upgrade "soon".

I would strongly advise against building from source into a custom
prefix in this case. The newer packages are available already, it should
be possible to install them somehow.

 Cheers
  -Tim