Caps Negotiation Confusion.

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 08:41:14 PST 2013

Right now I have an interesting problem in that caps negotiation is
not completing in my pipeline. This has to be a side effect of
dynamically building the pipeline in stages as caps negotiation
completes and gives the expected results if I build and run an exact
copy of the pipeline via gst-launch.

For background, my pipeline can either run in pull or push mode. It
runs in pull mode when I supply a file video source, and in push mode
when I supply a live video source (like an X session capture).

In pull mode, everything works fine. In push mode, the pipeline
successfully gets into the PAUSED state and a gst_pad_query_caps of
source pad at the end of the video processing chain returns a fixed
set of caps, as I would hope. However a call to
gst_pad_get_current_caps at that same location always returns ANY. A
dot-dump of the pipeline at that point shows that essentially no
negotiation has taken place, at all.

I can't figure out what I need to do to ensure the pipeline completes
negotiation.

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.