Prerequisites needed for uvch264?

Adam Goodwin adam.goodwin.nz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 07:26:53 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm working on a project where I need to get H264 encoded video from a
Logitech C920.

As I understand it I need to use uvch264 for this, as v4l2src is not able
to get H264 encoded video from a C920. (This is based on a few discussions
I've found online and the fact that a basic pipeline like "gst-launch-1.0
v4l2src ! video/x-h264 ! fakesink" doesn't work.)

The stable 1.0.8 release of gst-plugins-bad doesn't have uvch264 ported
yet, so I've tried to install the 1.1.2 developer release which does.
Unfortunately, this is what I get regarding uvch264 when I try to
"./configure" the bad plugins:

*configure: *** checking feature: UVC H264 ***
configure: *** for plug-ins: uvch264 ***
checking linux/uvcvideo.h usability... yes
checking linux/uvcvideo.h presence... yes
checking for linux/uvcvideo.h... yes
checking for GST_VIDEO... yes
checking for G_UDEV... no
checking for LIBUSB... no
configure: *** These plugins will not be built: uvch264

*I'm pretty new to all this GStreamer stuff, so excuse my ignorance, but to
try and resolve the missing "G_UDEV" and "LIBUSB" dependencies I installed
the following packages (I am using Ubuntu 13.04) with these commands:

"sudo apt-get install libgudev1.0-cil-dev"
"sudo apt-get install libusb-dev"

But I get the same results, "checking for G_UDEV..." and "checking for
LIBUSB..." still both say "no".

Even worse, with this 1.1.2 build of GStreamer I can't use v4l2src to get
another video format from the camera. The "gst-inspect-1.0 -b" command
shows "libgstvideo4linux2.so" as blacklisted. So I'm giving up on this for
tonight.

---

Basically, my question is this: Assuming there isn't some way of getting
v4l2src (from a stable release) to stream the H264 encoded video from my
C920, can anyone help me get the right dependencies so that uvch264 will
install?