how to stream live h264?

Ottavio Campana o.campana at videotec.com
Tue Jun 25 02:55:28 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am trying to learn how to send live H.264-encoded video taken from a webcam to a browser over HTTP. I would like to exploit the browser built-in functionalities and the video tag, but I am having some doubts.

I am able to stream by using the flv format and the plash player, by dynamically changing the pipeline when an HTTP request is received. I can also stream live video with the matroska file format, but I would like to use the mp4 format, which seems to have wider support.

The problem that I am facing is that mp4 needs to be closed, so that the correct atoms are written (I think moov is the missing one). I tried to set streamable true, but this did not solve the problem.

Is there a way to have a mp4 file that can be read even if it not closed?

Thank you

Ottavio