h.264 Video Streaming over TCP

pfarmer flacone at gmx.de
Mon Mar 4 11:25:09 PST 2013

Tim-Philipp Müller-2 wrote
> Pass -v to gst-launch-1.0 and check what H264 caps are negotiated at the
> sender. It should be stream-format=byte-stream, not avc. If it's avc,
> add an .... ! video/x-h264,stream-format=byte-stream ! ...  after the
> encoder.
>
> Cheers
>  -Tim

That's interesting. Somehow I have the feeling I was struggling with that
already one year ago :). But indeed: if I set byte-stream=true in the
properties of the encoder the caps are still negotiated with avc. Actually I
am not sure what does avc stand for in this case.
In the H.264 book [1 p.245] it is described the following: First there is
the Raw Byte Sequence Payload (RBSP) which consist of the H264 syntax
elements. This RBSP can be padded with some trailing bits and then be put
into a Network Abstraction Layer Unit (NALU).  This NALU in turn can be put
into a Byte stream which adds a Strt code prefix to the NALUs.
I am wondering at if the Byte-Stream of the properties of the x264enc is the
Byte stream they are talking about in the book and what is the "avc
stream-format" related to the book.
But with the caps filter it is working! Thank you very much!

[1] Iain E. Richardson "THE H.264 ADVANCED VIDEO COMPRESSION STANDARD"
Second Edition, ISBN: 978-0-470-51692-8