Still stuck

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Mar 7 15:16:16 PST 2013

On 2013-03-07 15:39, Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-07 at 14:44 -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
>
>>> please try
>>>
>>>    .. ! gdpdepay ! ffmpegcolorspace ! videoscale ! ximagesink
>>>

>> That no longer complains about the mismatched caps, but I only
>> get a single video frame rendered.  The debug trace is at
>>     http://www.mlbassoc.com/misc/log.gdp
>
> Ok, it's probably because of the timestamps which gdp also transmits,
> but which don't make sense in the other pipeline.
>
> Try with ximagesink sync=false so it disregards the timestamps and just
> renders frames as they come in (this will only work nicely if the other
> end is effectively a live sender).

Thanks, that helped.  I can now display data (my video _is_ live) using
this setup.

Recall that my end goal is to read from my camera and split it three ways
so I can display locally, encode and record to a file and also encode and
ship out over an RTSP stream.  Ideally these data will be shared using the
shm elements as they are they least overhead (and my goal is to be able to
work with 1080p raw video so overhead is important)

On to the next step.  Here's how I tried to encode the data:
gst-launch -vvv shmsrc socket-path=/tmp/shm-preview.sock \
   ! gdpdepay \
   ! ffmpegcolorspace \
   ! ffenc_mpeg4 \
   ! mpeg4videoparse \
   ! filesink location=/tmp/test.mp4

Sadly, it fails:
   Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
   Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
   ERROR: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstGDPDepay:gdpdepay0: Could not decode stream.
   Additional debug info:
   gstgdpdepay.c(416): gst_gdp_depay_chain (): /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstGDPDepay:gdpdepay0:
   Received a buffer without first receiving caps
   ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
   Setting pipeline to NULL ...
   Freeing pipeline ...

Obviously another problem with timing and/or timestamps, but I
don't know what to adjust.

If it's not obvious, I truly appreciate the help.