gstreamer video playback , cannot play

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 02:53:19 PDT 2013

There are sounds that we hear and things that we see. In order to be
able to record these things, they need to be converted to some digital
format -- and there are many choices for these. For example, a sound
could be stored as a WAV file, a WMA file, an OGG file (and many more).
The sound could have been recorded at 44100 samples per second (quite
typical) or perhaps 1100 samples per second (very poor quality).

Many of the elements in a Gstreamer pipeline are used to manipulate the
data from one format to another. A typical element will have a 'sink'
(where you can 'pour in some data') and a 'src' (which will supply data
to the next element in the sequence).

Obviously, the data will need to come from somewhere -- so if you are
reading a file, you will have a 'filesrc' which will pick up the data
from a file and pass it on to the next element; such an element will
have a 'location' parameter to tell it where to find the file.

At the other end of the pipeline you will want to do something with this
data you have been manipulating, so you will choose a 'sink' such as
'alsasink' to play the sound.

In between, you will need to manipulate the data that you read from disk
such that it can be played -- so if your input is a WAV file, you will
need 'wavparse' to convert the data.

It may be that 'wavparse' is not always ready to accept data when your
source wants to give it, so it is a good idea to include a 'queue'
between elements to handle such problems.

I don't know exactly what you want to do. Go to
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/ and follow the link to
"Overview of all Plug-ins " to see what plug-ins are available. Many of
the descriptions give an example of how you might use them.

Start by building a test pipeline using gst-launch. When you have got
that working, then look to writing a program to replicate what you have
tested using gst-launch.