Trick mode: backward play is not happening for WMV

amit.debnath at wipro.com amit.debnath at wipro.com
Wed Mar 13 02:01:45 PDT 2013

On Tuesday 12 March 2013 08:25 PM, Tim-Philipp Müller wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 10:41 +0000, amit.debnath at wipro.com wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I am trying to implement trick mode backward play with gstreamer.
>>
>> OS: Ubuntu 10.04.
> This Ubuntu version uses a GStreamer version from 3-years ago...
>
>> File type : .wmv file.
>>
>> I am trying to use the following method:
>>
>> 1. Getting position by calling gst_element_query_position().
>>
>> 2. Then passing different play rate to the API gst_event_new_seek()
>> for playing in different speed..
>>
>> if (play_rate > 0)
>> {
>> seek_event = gst_event_new_seek ((gdouble)play_rate, GST_FORMAT_TIME,
>> (GstSeekFlags)(GST_SEEK_FLAG_ACCURATE|GST_SEEK_FLAG_FLUSH),
>> GST_SEEK_TYPE_SET, position, GST_SEEK_TYPE_NONE, 0);
>> }
>> else
>> {
>> seek_event = gst_event_new_seek (play_rate, GST_FORMAT_TIME,
>> (GstSeekFlags)(GST_SEEK_FLAG_ACCURATE|GST_SEEK_FLAG_FLUSH),
>> GST_SEEK_TYPE_SET, 0, GST_SEEK_TYPE_SET, position);
>> }
>>
>> In my case when the play_rate is >1, fast forward is happening
>> nicely.
>>
>> But every time I am trying with any negative value, the backward play
>> is not happening.
>>
>> The event is not returning any error as well. The play is happening
>> with the previous speed set.
> This is not supported yet by the ASF demuxer. Reverse playback is
> disabled even in the most recent versions.
>
> Someone needs to implement this.
Did you mean that reverse playback is not supported for any version of
gstreamer for any platform till today?

If not then please let me know for which platform/ gstreamer version
reverse playback is supported?
Or if there is any type of file that is supported for reverse playback?

My actual requirement is to run reverse playback on Freescale i.MX53 (
ARM Cortex -A8) platform and the gstreamer version is 0.10.

Regards,
Amit

www.wipro.com