Understanding audiodynamic plug-in

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 25 10:16:11 PDT 2013

I think that I have found a documentation bug (or two) with audiodynamic
- but maybe something more serious.  Or, perhaps I don't understand what
I have asked it to do.

First, the documentation in the GStreamer Good Plugins 1.0 Plugins
Reference Manual gives a couple of example uses where the property
'rate' is specified - but this should be 'ratio'.

Also, in the documentation, it states that threshold has allowed values
of 0,1, but gst-inspect shows that this is a range from 0-1, not
discrete values.

Second.
My understanding is that audiodynamic can work in one of two modes -
compressor or expander.  I thought that in compressor mode, it would
take the loud bits of the audio and make them quieter and that in
expander mode, it would find the quiet bits and make them louder.  I
used the following pipeline

gst-launch-1.0 -v filesrc location=/home/ian/Music/file1.wav ! wavparse
! audiodynamic mode=expander characteristics=soft-knee threshold=0.5
ratio=40 ! wavenc ! filesink location=/home/ian/Music/new2.wav

I admit that I don't know what values I might want to set for threshold
or ratio - but the effect of this pipeline was to make the quiet bits go
very quiet indeed.

The documentation could probably do with some explanation of threshold
more than "Threshold until the filter is activated."  What is it the
threshold of?  When the threshold is exceeded, what does the 'ratio'
actually do?

By the way - what I was hoping I could do was to take a recording and
'boost' the quiet bits a bit.  What would be sensible values to use for
this (as a starting point)?

Ian