packetized vs bytestream in rtp

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.com
Thu Mar 28 11:25:32 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-28 at 10:44 -0400, Chuck Crisler wrote:
> I specifically need rtph264pay to generate packetized data regardless
> of the input. At least, I *THINK* that is what I need. Currently in
> converting from MP2T to RTP (when the original source was also RTP)
> every packet has the marker bit set. I have seen in many traces that
> rtph264pay is classifying the stream as bytestream. I have tried
> setting the h264parse element (before the rtph264pay element in the
> pipeline) to '0' and the access-unit to true, but that generated some
> internal failure which I did not investigate. I am hoping that by
> forcing 'packetized' I can get the marker bit set correctly.
> Everything else if good.

The concept of bytestream vs packetized does not apply to the RTP
payload format, it is a distinct 3rd format. The RTP packets always
contain either a full NAL unit, more than one NAL unit or fragments on a
NAL unit if the NAL unit is larger than the MTU. This should all happen
automatically from your point of view. The marker bit should be set on
any RTP packets that represents the end of an Access Unit (which is one
or more consecutive NAL units that make up a frame).

A bug that made the marker bit be set too often was fixed in
gst-plugins-good 0.10.31, so make sure you have that version at least.
--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.com