Rendering Text?

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Thu May 2 09:33:50 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 14:06 -0500, Stirling Westrup wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Raw timed text is now text/x-raw,format=utf8 in 1.0
> > >
> > > However, it is assumed to be properly chunked (one line/paragraph per
> > > buffer) and timestamped. Just pipeline a text file into textrenderer
> > > will not work well, since it won't know how to chunk it or timestamp
> it.
> > >
> > Hmm. Okay. I can certainly transform my text into this format. In
> > fact, in some ways that would make my life easier as it gives better
> > control over how long any piece of text is shown. However, I'm not
> > sure I understand what the exact format of a timestamp and paragraph
> > is in this case. Can you give me an example?
>
> If you're reading from a file, the easiest might be to format your file
> as SubRip/.srt like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubRip and then
> do
>
>   filesrc ! subparse ! textrender ! ...

Just got around to actually trying this, and I still can't get it to work.
I've made the world's simplest .srt file, namely:

1
00:00:00,000 --> 01:00:00,000
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

But so far I've had no success at ever getting textrender to render
anything. Its either buggy or severely deficient in documentation.

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.