What's the correct usage of gst_element_query_duration() ??

Paddy pat.blanchon at gmail.com
Tue May 21 10:38:09 PDT 2013

Hi,

I have a gstreamer (0.10) pipeline that looks like:
           myplaysrcbin --> autovideosink

where myplaysrcbin is:
           filesrc --> decodebin2

Calling gst_element_query_duration() on myplaysrcbin always fails,
regardless of the pipeline status.

Similarly calling gst_element_query_duration() on decodebin2 inside
myplaysrcbin always fails.

However calling gst_element_query_duration() on the pipeline succeeds if
decodebin2 is in the paused or playing state - event though the simultaneous
calls using decodebin2 or myplaysrcbin are failing.

I'm asking as I'd like to query the duration of an additional myplaysrcbin
that's yes to be linked to the sink, it will have blocked srcpads until it's
linked.

Cheers,

Paddy