Getting Firewire webcam feed [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ian Davidson id012c3076 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 22 02:30:53 PDT 2013

Hi Mitch,

You should think of GStreamer rather like a collection of LEGO bricks.
Put them together the right way and you can make anything you want.

Your example has merely specified where it should get its input from -
but you haven't specified what you want to do with it.

Take a look at the documentation
(http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/) and skim through the
Application Development Manual.  Although this is labelled "Read This
First", it does dive straight into programming - but look at the section
"Utility applications provided with GStreamer" and the section on
gst-launch.  Also, look at the man pages on gst-launch.

At the very least, you will need some sort of 'sink' to take your video
stream and display it somewhere, maybe xvimagesink.  You may need to
process the video and store it using 'filesink'.

When you read about the individual elements, many of them will give
examples of a pipeline to make use of them which you can then adapt to
handle your source.

Hope that helps

Ian