GSTREAMER (or VLC) + OMXPLAYER

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Wed Nov 13 11:48:06 PST 2013

Le mercredi 13 novembre 2013 à 09:14 -0800, cvinyas a écrit :
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a set of questions. I am working trying to build a VideoWall using
> GStreamer and Raspberrys and in fact I have been able to do it. I have
> installed Debian and GStreamer 1.0 in my laptop and it acts as a server.
>
> The server sends 2 encoded H264 video flows over RTP/UDP to the Raspberrys,
> which have also installed, GStreamer 1.0 and each one decodes his flow and
> show in each monitor screen.

Note, you should ideally tell the client what time source to
synchronised to. I did a 2x2 wall once using Aurena, in this case we are
using GstNetTimeProvider + GstNetClientClock for that. Note that Aurena
is not specialized for walls, so I had only 1 stream, being fully
decoded on each RPi and a quarter being displayed.

> The problem is that with GStreamer in reception I am not able to reproduce
> 1920x1080p videos (due to the constraint of GStreamer plugins). So, instead
> of using GStreamer in the clients I would like to use the omxplayer that is
> able to receive the streaming. And I send exactly the same pipeline to the
> clients but Omxplayer says "Have a nice day" and that's it.

I don't know much about OMXPlayer. For my part (even though there is
still a copy) I managed to playback 1080p stream using the omxdecoder
from gst-omx and the eglglessink from gst-plugins-bad. As you don't need
audio for a wall, that should work. The benefit of having GStreamer on
client side is that it gives you more options for synchronization. I
know you can achieve this by setting a time provider when using
gst-rtsp-server. Might be better then Aurena/HTTP for you use case ?

> Also, I have tried to stream the video with VLC and the reception with OMX
> and it partially works but some errors in the video (green marks) appears,
> but it plays at good frame rate and good quality. I don't how to configure
> VLC to stream correctly the video to be able to play it in omxplayer.

These two projects are unrelated to GStreamer, you'll have better input
from the people developing these.

cheer,
Nicolas

p.s. Aurena is here https://github.com/thaytan/aurena