UI frameworks to consider for a gstreamer based player

Brian Duffy brduffy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 18:53:52 PST 2013

either one could work. If you don't like to program in C or C++ then you
can investigate Clutter with Vala and Qt with Python maybe. Recent updates
to Gstreamer show promise for getting hardware acceleration working with
the respective toolkits.

Be careful with Clutter, it is moving towards a new major version so it is
a bit of a moving target right now.

Qt's QML might be your simplest solution for now if getting hardware
acceleration working is not important.

Personally, I'm anxious to see what becomes of Clutter inside GTK, so Im
focusing on other issues until that reveals itself. I would give the dev
environment and debugging advantage to Qt.

Its a loaded question that is for sure :-). Depends a lot on what you are
most comfortable with and what your goal is.

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Dece Bel <decebel at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not really a gstreamer question but something I think people on
> this forum might have worked on.
>
> Are there some samples/pointers for building UI for hosting the gstreamer
> based player with video playback controls overlayed at the bottom of the
> video player. For example - the default player on mac has the pause/play
> etc buttons that are displayed at the bottom of the video and these
> controls disappear when there is no mouse activity for a few seconds.
>
> I do not have experience with Qt / Clutter or other UI frameworks but
> willing to explore that might prove potentially useful with the above
> features.
> Another consideration that I have for a UI framework is support for multi
> platforms (windows, iOS and Android).
>
> Many thanks
> Dece

Duff