videomixer with external images

Frédéric Sallé salle.frederic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 06:25:31 PST 2013

On 26/11/2013 18:23, Tim Müller wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 14:52 +0100, Frédéric Sallé wrote:
>
> Hi Frédéric,
>
>> I finally compiled the latest git version and, to my understanding,
>> the pipeline management of the 1.2.1 (and pre 1.3) is not much better
>> regarding my issue that the 1.0.8.
>> The application still hangs most of the times.
> Just to make sure: are you sure you are actually using the latest
> version? Does gst-inspect-1.0 videomixer | grep Version show what you
> expect?
I fully messed up my 13.04 installation by trying to verify that ... :-((
I tried to avoid ldconfig (due a library conflict leading to a memory
error message of gst-inspect) by removing the default gst packages, that
was a very very stupid idea ...

So the good side of that being that Ubuntu 13.10 is bundled with gst
1.2.0 { and that I had to clean my comp :-) }
The bad side of it being that I cannot use xvimage anymore  ...
I get
/fred at Paris:~/Downloads$ gst-launch-1.0 playbin
uri=file:///home/fred/Downloads/sample_iPod.m4v //
//Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...//
//Pipeline is PREROLLING ...//
//Redistribute latency...//
//X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)//
//  Major opcode of failed request:  149 (XVideo)//
//  Minor opcode of failed request:  13 ()//
//  Serial number of failed request:  31//
//  Current serial number in output stream:  34//
/
Same if I try to display my webcam :-(((

However I works fine with the 0.1 version ...

If anybody already faced that problem, a hint would be very welcome.

> Another way to overlay images on top of a video stream is the
> gdkpixbufoverlay element. You should be able to change the "location"
> property on the fly while the pipeline is running.
Thanks that sounds good however I cannot test until I solved the issue
above as the a 1.0 element only.
BTW, is it possible to change the location through the command line or
it must be done programmatically ?

Thanks,
Frederic