My simple transcoding app hangs, code review requested

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 14:53:17 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-03 at 00:45 +0300, Andrey Utkin wrote:
> 2013/10/2 Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk>:
> > Try:
> >
> >  demux.audio_0 ! queue max-size-bytes=0 max-size-buffers=0
> > max-size-time=5000000000 ! avdec_aac ! ...
> >
> > If that doesn't help, try x264enc tune=zerolatency (but that's more of
> > an emergency fix, it reduces quality unnecessarily and shouldn't be used
> > unless you really want low latency)
>
> It really helped.
> Is it acceptable/admirable to insert these parameters with each queue,
> to ensure that no such issues arise in production?
> Or should such parameters be added basing on some heuristic decision?
> May this issue be a topic for some patch for gstreamer upstream, for
> either logics change or default param values change?

It's fine to do that for all queues in a transcoding pipeline. It's no
done by default because such a large queue is not a good default for
many other use cases. It's something we should ideally be able to figure
out automatically though, but we don't yet, sorry (there's a bug about
it somewhere).

Cheers
 -Tim