Compiling a simple 'Hello World' GStreamer Project on Windows with Vs2012

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Tue Oct 8 02:17:34 PDT 2013

On Mo, 2013-10-07 at 23:16 -0700, Gazoo wrote:
> Hey devel subscribers,
>
> I'm running into a spot of trouble just trying to get GStreamer off the
> ground in a simple project on Windows using Vs2012.
>
> I've downloaded the Runtime and Dev Files for the latest GStreamer (1.2.0).
> My first surprise came from the fact that the tutorials were nowhere to be
> found in the \share\gst-sdk\tutorials folder. I'm guessing they're perhaps
> in merge modules? Not sure why they'd be put there though, since someone not
> intent on deploying the SDK along an application might still want the
> tutorials.

The tutorials are not included because they were not all ported to 1.0.
Everything basically works the same as in 0.10 for MSVC so the docs at
the third party website docs.gstreamer.com are still valid.

> Anyway - I digress - I thought nuts to that and kept going. I created a
> project, copied some code from the documentation - specifically the hello
> world code here:
>
> http://docs.gstreamer.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=327735
> <http://docs.gstreamer.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=327735>
>
> Then I included the property sheet in both debug and release, and promptly
> *ignored* removing dependency on the visual studio runtime. Not sure if this
> is the cause of my troubles - I really hope it isn't since all sources I can
> find elsewhere strongly advise against removing dependency on the visual
> studio runtimes. I tend to agree - but that's another discussion.
>
> I compile and execute the debug version and recieve a nice, tasty error:
>
> The procedure entry point g_array_set_clear could not be located in the
> dynamic link library <path to lib>.
>
> I completed the same tasks with VS2010 just for fun, and I get the same
> error. Searching on the msg boards turned up another user who apparently had
> mixed some older gstreamer libs during compilation and execution. I only
> have the latest GStreamer libs installed, so that shouldn't be an issue... I
> think...

Do you have the directory with libglib-2.0-0.dll in your $PATH and also
set the GSTREAMER_1_0_ROOT_X86 or GSTREAMER_1_0_ROOT_X86_64 environment
variables properly? Those have a different name for the 0.10 binaries
you can get from gstreamer.com.

Can you run e.g. gst-launch-1.0.exe from the bin directory without
errors? For example
gst-launch-1.0.exe videotestsrc ! d3dvideosink

> Mid-sentance I then thought perhaps the SDKs I've downloaded directly from
> the website here:
>
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.2.0/
>
> Were not the ones I was supposed to use... So I just redownloaded and
> installed the ones mentioned in the actual documentation here, only to find
> out that they actually seem to be the 'out of date' ones...

Yes, gstreamer.com is only providing outdated 0.10 binaries and also is
not connected to the GStreamer project.