android h264 hardware encoding

yoyosuper8 yoyosuper8 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 11 08:26:07 CEST 2013

So, I'm trying to understand how h264 hardware encoding works. I need to do
h264 hardware encoding on Android. I'm not too familiar with this topic and
what I've read online hasn't really answer some of my questions and some
topics are not clear.

Here are some questions that I'd like to get answer if possible please:

1. In order to be able to perform h264 hw encoding, my android device has to
have the capability for h264 hw encoding, correct?

2. How do I specify the hardware available on my android device into the
pipeline?

3. What plugins are able to do this? Or does x264enc plugin automatically
looks to see if it can do hardware encoding and if not then to software
encoding? How does that work?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you
Andy