RELEASE: GStreamer Core and Plugins 1.2.0

LRN lrn1986 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 11:31:51 CEST 2013

On 11.10.2013 09:32, Lasse Laursen wrote:
> On 10-10-2013 18:04, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
>> Ah you're building with Visual Studio... I don't think the project
>> files in there are up-to-date, so most probably won't work.
>>
>> For configure and the other things you need MinGW and MSys, yes.
>> That's currently the only build system that is properly
>> maintained.
> Ok. I see I have no choice but to submit. Having done so I've grabbed
>  both MinGW and Msys along with the GTK pre-compiled binaries. I will
> say this once here and get it done with - the documentation relating
> to these three pieces of software and how they inter-operate is
> frustratingly sparse, confusing and often out of date.
There are 3 different versions of MSys (MSYS, MSYSGIT and MSYS2), 2
versions of MinGW (mingw.org and mignw-w64). And some of these are
provided by multiple vendors, which introduces even more subtle
differences into toolchains, installations and such.
(so unless you get someone to explain it, figuring stuff out would take
a lot of googling).

However, it would take even more googling to figure out the docs. The
reason is that MinGW toolchain is, basically, gcc and binutils (which
GNU developers use) + compatible SDK, and MSys is, basically, Cygwin,
and Cygwin is, basically, a compatibility layer that provides POSIX on
top of Windows, and software is built there the same way it's built on
other POSIX systems - i.e. configure scripts, mostly.
So if you want to know how these things work, get yourself a GNU system
(i would recommend Debian, obviously) and learn to build GStreamer there.

In fact, that may be even better idea, since you can cross-compile
GStreamer from there to Windows (and the compilation process will be
faster (!!!) than using MSys).

> I'm using the INSTALL guide found in the gst-plugin source you guided
> me to. I'm trying to use cMake to create a visual studio 11 solution
> - is that right?
That is one way to do it. I never tried that (had no need, since me and
MSVS went separate ways a long time ago), so i can't really say if it's
going to work. But, theoretically, it should be possible.

> I'm going that direction since I've read that there are troubles
> abound by mixing MinGW compiled binaries with VS things, and since I
> need to incorporate gstreamer ( and by extension its plugins ) into a
> visual studio project, I figured this is the way to go?
Not necessarily. Compiling with MSVS will increase compatibility, yes,
but compiling with MinGW would work as well (you will just need to do
some extra work to generate import libraries once you've got DLLs -
MinGW import libraries are usually not compatible with MSVS). DLLs
themselves should be 100% compatible (rule of the thumb: if it has C
interface - it's compatible).

> From the onset, GLib2 was no where to be found.
Strange, usually gtk bundles (which is what you've downloaded, i
presume) come with glib.

> I tried desperately to figure out what step I missed when installing
> GTK, as it seems there should be one significant step I didn't do in
> order to inform my system of its existance for use with MinGW. In the
> end I gave up and found a somewhat halfway solution here:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15167695/cmake-cannot-find-glib2
Ah, yes, you may need pkg-config to tell other parts of the buildsystem
where glib is. In particular, the location of glibconfig.h is somewhat
unobvious.

> Having done that, Cmake now complains about not finding libxml2. I've
>  gotten as far as figured out that it has something to do with the
> libtool package for msys which I have installed.
No idea how libxml2 could be related to libtool.

> But that's about as far as I've gotten. I know this only indirectly
> related to gstreamer, but perhaps someone can point me in the right
> direction. Is there a pre-compiled version I can get somehow, or do I
> need to compile it?
>
> I found a guide, but when I get to 'uncompress libxml2', I have no
> idea where it's supposed to be. I cannot find any new zip files or
> lha or similar file that popped up when I ran 'install libtool':
> http://mingw-users.1079350.n2.nabble.com/Install-libxml2-on-windows-
> MSYS-td6324668.html

Compiling stuff yourself is always good for you, since by learning to do
it you...well...learn. But i can understand how professional software
developers may want something that just works and lets them do their job
in short term.

People already pointed you to cerbero. Apparently (AFAIK), this is what
is used to build GStreamer SDK, so it must be good enough.

Available alternatives are:

[shameless self-plug] sbuild[1] - easy to use (if nothing goes wrong,
requires minimum developer interference), compiles lots of stuff for
you, easy to hack (no complicated tools are at work). Has no package
manager that is worth mentioning. Reproducible.

win-builds[2]. It does include some kind of package manager, which may
make handling the packages easier (and there are lots of them, so this
is important). Also probably allows you to just download binaries
instead of building everything yourself. Does not give you GStreamer,
but it's on the roadmap (ask the developer, maybe it's already available
in alpha release). In any event, you should be able to compile GStreamer
yourself with this, since most/all prerequisites will be in place.
Claims to be reproducible.

Fedora stuff[3]. Does include GStreamer, according to the package list
that i've seen. I have no other info about it.

And that's about it.

[1] https://www.gitorious.org/sbuild/sbuild/source/master
[2] http://win-builds.org/
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW