Timestamping buffers with live and non-live sources

Sebastian Dröge slomo at coaxion.net
Fri Oct 18 01:11:13 CEST 2013

On Do, 2013-10-17 at 14:20 -0700, Bob Barker wrote:
> Thanks Sebastian. In your response you talked about "running time" and used
> the word "timestamp"  but we still have the question:
>
> For live sources: does this mean that if a buffer was captured live at time
> 1934234.34, the timestamp is also 1934234.34?
>

> Asked another way: With a live source, what is the timestamp of the first
> buffer?  Zero. Or is it something else? If so, what?  From reading the
> documentation it sounds like it may be zero but we're not clear.

The timestamp does not matter, just together with the other segment
information it must result in a running time that equals the current
running time of the clock.

It could be (around) zero and that would most of the time the easiest
way to do it. You use a segment with start=0,base=0,offset=0 and
timestamp the buffers with current_clock_time - base_time. Some of the
existing live sources are doing exactly that.