android h264 hardware encoding

yoyosuper8 yoyosuper8 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 18:37:27 CET 2013

Ok, after so many days of soul searching I have finally found a solution to
the problem of the ducati encoder not encoding data and the rtsp server not
sending rtp packets. Apparently, if you are using videotestsrc with the flag
is-live=true, the rtsp-server will not work properly. Therefore, you have to
set it to false.
Here is where  Luca Ognibene-3 explains what is going on when using is-live
flag for videotestsrc:
http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/About-videotest-and-rtsp-server-is-live-true-and-false-tp970718p970719.html
<http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/About-videotest-and-rtsp-server-is-live-true-and-false-tp970718p970719.html>

So after removing the is-live flag, my pipeline now looks like this and the
hardware encoder works fine:

	gst_rtsp_media_factory_set_launch (factory,
			"( videotestsrc do-timestamp=true ! capsfilter
caps=\"video/x-raw,format=NV12,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1\" !
videoconvert ! amcvidenc-omxtiducati1videoh264e bitrate=300
i-frame-interval=8 ! rtph264pay pt=96 name=pay0 )");

There is a bit of a lag, but its better than using the software encoder
x264enc.

Thank you all for all of the help you provided. I couldn't have done it
without your assistance and knowledge.
Andy