Realtime capture and streaming of a 4K HTML5 Session under Linux?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Oct 31 21:28:08 CET 2013

On Do, 2013-10-31 at 15:35 -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:

> > > I was hoping someone here would have some suggestions as to things we
> > could
> > > do to capture and stream more efficiently.
> >
> > You could also run a browser in some kind of offscreen window and
> > capture from that,
>

> I'm not sure I see how that would be any faster than what we've been doing,
> especially if the offscreen window if 4K wide. Many graphic cards simply
> refuse to let you create a window that big.

Well, that would have to be tried :) In any case it would remove the
overhead of displaying things on the screen, going through the display
server and all that, and then grabbing the output from there and copying
it to a GStreamer buffer. Instead you could just let the website be
rendered to a GStreamer buffer.

If your system can display such a large website, it should also be able
to somehow get the frames into GStreamer for further processing.
ximagesrc however involves so many copies and context switches that it's
not going to be fast ;)

> > or run something like a webkit web view in your
> > application and have it render directly to a GStreamer buffer (Qt and
> > GTK both have ways to render to memory instead of a X11 window). That
> > should provide you with better performance as ximagesrc.
> >

> Yes, that occurred to me not long after I posted the above. I've been
> looking into gecko- and chrome-based webkits, but I must admit that's an
> area where I don't really know much, so I'm having trouble figuring out
> which would be better for our purposes. Mating such a webkit to a gstreamer
> source element might also prove an interesting challenge.

It's not really complicated, just a normal video source element that
grabs video frames via Qt or GTK or some other webkit port. Possibly
something similar can be done with Gecko too, but the Mozilla people
generally don't support an embedding API for their stuff.

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com