aacparse progress ? ADTS to raw and vice versa

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 08:46:47 PDT 2013

Hi GStreamer Devel.

In the last couple of month every now and then there has been mails on
converting between raw and ADTS AAC suggesting using aacparse pretty much
like h264parse works converting between NAL and AU delimited h264 streams.
Nevertheless, as also stated in mails, aacparse does not yet have that
capability.

Is an AAC adts to raw converter something that is in the development plans
for GStreamer in a foreseeable future? Can it be that difficult to rip off
the ADTS encapsulation (asking without knowing the full implication I
admit)?

Why this is interesting is because various modules requires various format
of AAC making reuse of the same AAC stream difficult.

flvmux wants a raw aac stream while mpegtsmux wants a adts stream. Now
mpegtsmux says it can handle both raw and adts, which may or may not be
true, but I believe the TS format specify the AAC stream when leaving the
muxer to be ADTS formatted inside the TS stream. This has the complication
that in the other end that I can only get a ADTS stream out of the TS
demuxer (tsdemux only supports adts) and only if I feed the tsmuxer an ADTS
stream. If I feed the TS muxer a raw stream and and ask the demuxer to demu
it, the result is varying and often leading to a permanent preroll.

Kind regards
Peter Maersk-Moller