Gstreamer-1.1.4 in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 05:35:15 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-17 at 13:05 +0200, Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:

Hi,

> Compilling and installing gstreamer-1.1.4 plus
> base/good/bad/ugly/libavon linux  straight out of the box, I see that
> many if not most libraries are installed in /usr/local/lib rather
> than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0 as I believe was the thing gstreamer
> 1.0.9 did. Is this a new feature or a small mishap?

Libraries get installed into /usr/local/lib (depending on the
prefix/libdir), Plugins get installed into /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/
- this should not have changed (and I would be surprised if it did).

> The consequence of installing the libraries by default
> in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0 is that
> unless you specify the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, some or
> many if not most of the libraries may not be picked up by gst-inspect
> and gst-launch as they search in /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0.

Yes, you may need to set things up so it gets found, although on most
distros that should be the case already for /usr/local.
Check /etc/ld.so.conf* and your PATH.

Then it depends which libgstreamer-1.0.so gets used, where it will look
for plugins. It will only look for plugins in its own prefix, so won't
pick up things from other prefixes unless you force it via
GST_PLUGIN_PATH.

I usually don't recommend you mix from-source installs of GStreamer with
from-package installs, since it gets messy soon, esp. if you update the
packages then.

Cheers
 -Tim