Gstreamer-1.1.4 in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0

Robert Krakora rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com
Tue Sep 17 06:05:26 PDT 2013

Works for me...my libraries reside in <library path>/gstreamer-1.0 for
1.1.4 as Tim has indicated.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-09-17 at 13:05 +0200, Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > Compilling and installing gstreamer-1.1.4 plus
> > base/good/bad/ugly/libavon linux  straight out of the box, I see that
> > many if not most libraries are installed in /usr/local/lib rather
> > than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0 as I believe was the thing gstreamer
> > 1.0.9 did. Is this a new feature or a small mishap?
>
> Libraries get installed into /usr/local/lib (depending on the
> prefix/libdir), Plugins get installed into /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0/
> - this should not have changed (and I would be surprised if it did).
> >
> > The consequence of installing the libraries by default
> > in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0 is that
> > unless you specify the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH, some or
> > many if not most of the libraries may not be picked up by gst-inspect
> > and gst-launch as they search in /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0.
>
> Yes, you may need to set things up so it gets found, although on most
> distros that should be the case already for /usr/local.
> Check /etc/ld.so.conf* and your PATH.
>
> Then it depends which libgstreamer-1.0.so gets used, where it will look
> for plugins. It will only look for plugins in its own prefix, so won't
> pick up things from other prefixes unless you force it via
> GST_PLUGIN_PATH.
>
> I usually don't recommend you mix from-source installs of GStreamer with
> from-package installs, since it gets messy soon, esp. if you update the
> packages then.
>
> Cheers
>  -Tim
>
> > After installing the workaround is of course to
> >

> >   a) export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
> >
> >   b) rm ~/.cache/gstreamer-1.0/registry*
> >

> > and then rerun gst-inspect. There may also be a settings
> > for ./configure while compiling the gstreamer-1.1.4, but somehow I am
> > not convinced setting libdir will work without consequences.
> >

> > Another thing is that gst-libav-1.1.4 doesn't seem to have a 'make
> > uninstall' command as the other packages have.
> >

> > Best regards
> >
> > Peter MM

Rob Krakora,
Senior Software Engineer

MessageNet Systems
101 E Carmel Dr, Suite 105
Carmel, IN 46032

MessageNetSystems.com<http://www.messagenetcommunicationsystems.com/?utm_source=email+signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email+signature+to+homepage>
Rob.Krakora at MessageNetSystems.com <rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com>
P: 317.566.1677, 212
F: 317.663.0808

For the latest news, information, and blogs, please be sure to visit,
follow, and like us...

<http://www.messagenetcommunicationsystems.com/get-the-message-out-blog/?utm_source=email+signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gmail+signature+to+blog>
   <http://www.youtube.com/user/MessageNetConnection/feed>
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/messagenet-systems>