Gstreamer-1.1.4 in /usr/local/lib rather than /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 06:27:32 PDT 2013

Must be me then. Testing on Ubuntu 13.04 with the supplied gstreamer-1.0
installed too (prefix=/usr), which can be very confusing. The new version
has prefix=/usr/local.

I'd love to remove the by Ubuntu supplied Gstreamer to avoid confusion, but
that simply breaks too many packages with the Ubuntu package system.
Anyway, remembering 'hash -r' and setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH for /usr/local
(not sure why since /usr/local/lib is in the ld.so.conf list) and setting
/usr/local/bin first, it works well.

Got confused on the difference between the 88 (so far) library files in
/usr/local/lib and the 368 plugin files in /usr/local/lib/gstreamer too. My
mistake. Sorry. However it might be nice if nearly all libraries was in
PREFIX/lib/gstreamer-1.0 for many reasons.
Anyway, case closed.

Thanks.
Peter