n00b wants to play movie to quicktime over net

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Sep 22 13:41:44 PDT 2013

>>     $ gst-launch videotestsrc ! ximagesink
>> displays the test pattern back to me over ssh -X, aside from 150ms rtt
>> making x slow enough to make gstreamer whine
> Look, the bandwidth you need to transmit RGB data in real-time(ish) is
> enormous. It's completely expected that it will complain.

i was not unhappy.  just noting that the only diagnostic from the run
was due to my setup.  when you live in distant places, you get used to
latency effects.

> If you want to stream RTSP (which sounds like a good idea)

i believe the target clients, second life viewers with quicktime built
in, are pretty dependent on rtsp

i had been slogging through trying to put the pieces on
    http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-rtsp-server/html/
together and going nuts.  when you find yourself in a hole, maybe it is
time to stop digging.

> You might find this example useful:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-rtsp-server/tree/examples/test-mp4.c

as 42% of the examples i have seen, it wants a file 'test' but no one
seems to supply it.  but what the heck, i have to at least compile it

$ cc -I /usr/include/gstreamer-0.10 -I /usr/include/glib-2.0 -I /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I /usr/include/libxml2 -o test-mp4 test-mp4.c
test-mp4.c: In function â:
test-mp4.c:29:3: error: unknown type name â
test-mp4.c:47:10: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]

and i really do not see any funny chars in the .c.  i append it as
base64 as others likely will see my st00pidity

randy