n00b wants to play movie to quicktime over net

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sun Sep 22 14:24:42 PDT 2013

On Sun, 2013-09-22 at 10:41 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:

Hi,

> >>     $ gst-launch videotestsrc ! ximagesink
> >> displays the test pattern back to me over ssh -X, aside from 150ms rtt
> >> making x slow enough to make gstreamer whine
> > Look, the bandwidth you need to transmit RGB data in real-time(ish) is
> > enormous. It's completely expected that it will complain.
>
> i was not unhappy.  just noting that the only diagnostic from the run
> was due to my setup.  when you live in distant places, you get used to
> latency effects.
>
> > If you want to stream RTSP (which sounds like a good idea)
>
> i believe the target clients, second life viewers with quicktime built
> in, are pretty dependent on rtsp
>
> i had been slogging through trying to put the pieces on
>     http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-rtsp-server/html/
> together and going nuts.  when you find yourself in a hole, maybe it is
> time to stop digging.
>
> > You might find this example useful:
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-rtsp-server/tree/examples/test-mp4.c
>
> as 42% of the examples i have seen, it wants a file 'test' but no one
> seems to supply it.  but what the heck, i have to at least compile it
>
> $ cc -I /usr/include/gstreamer-0.10 -I /usr/include/glib-2.0 -I /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -I /usr/include/libxml2 -o test-mp4 test-mp4.c
> test-mp4.c: In function â:
> test-mp4.c:29:3: error: unknown type name â
> test-mp4.c:47:10: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
>
> and i really do not see any funny chars in the .c.  i append it as
> base64 as others likely will see my st00pidity

I don't know where that comes from. But maybe try checking out the whole
module, and compiling it using the build system provided (autogen.sh +
configure). The example I pointed to is also for GStreamer 1.0 (as it is
git master). If you want examples for the now-unmaintained 0.10 version,
check out the 0.10 branch.

Cheers
 -Tim