Decoding a TS stream with difficulties - TS slightly broken in 1.2?

Peter Maersk-Moller pmaersk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 02:49:26 PDT 2013

Hi Tim-Philipp

Thanks for reply. Ok, so lets compromise and say it is slightly broken :)
however I'm sure not identifying the keyframe correctly leads to all sort
of problems when using TS. It's just that the TS format is so good at doing
what it was designed for and why it has survived so long. After all it is
an old format in this kind of business (more than 20 years), but it has
many good properties.

Sorry for the lengthy mail though. Instead of just reporting XYZ is broken,
I try to report something broken (or inconsistent) in a way where I
document what I did to reach the conclusion so others may be able to
replicate this and perhaps confirm the findings not to say trying to
contribute bugfixing by providing examples.

I'd love to fix the TS issue, but unfortunately I'm not quite there yet
understanding the internals of GStreamer good enough yet, but moving in
that direction.

Thanks for the tip on matroska and pes. I'll try that. What about MP4? No
recommendations there?

Of course one could also use RTSP, but that is not without complication
also noting it is in a distribution package by itself.

Best regards
Peter MM