D1 multiple decode

Stuart Weaver Stuart.Weaver at datapath.co.uk
Mon Aug 18 07:48:15 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to test the decode performance of some hardware and have got up to 13 1080p30 videos decoding. However, when testing decodes for D1 resolution, the FPS I'm getting is great however the output from fakesink seems to keep hanging with greater than 5 decodes and not complete the video.

The pipeline below is an example of how I am decoding 6 streams:

gst-launch-1.0 -v filesrc location=/media/sdb1/H264_1080p30_test_video.avi typefind=true ! avidemux ! tee name=t ! queue ! vaapidecode ! fakesink silent=false \
t. ! queue ! vaapidecode ! fakesink silent=true \
t. ! queue ! vaapidecode ! fakesink silent=true \
t. ! queue ! vaapidecode ! fakesink silent=true \
t. ! queue ! vaapidecode ! fakesink silent=true \
t. ! queue ! vaapidecode ! fakesink silent=true

For the D1 clips, I'm just replacing the video file with a cropped version.

When adding --gst-debug=5, I am seeing that every so often some of the queues are empty. Could it be that the rate of the decoder is becoming greater than that of the copy to each queue and hence this could be the cause of the hanging?
If anybody could clarify/verify this or offer another explanation it would be great and if there are any ideas on how to stop the hanging then it would be very much appreciated!

Best Regards,
Stuart