Choppy audio when using playbin to play DVB TS

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Wed Dec 31 01:29:38 PST 2014

Hi Dunk,

On 31 Dec 2014, at 03:22, Duncan Palmer <dpalmer at digisoft.tv> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I would be suspicious of your buffer-size and buffer-duration settings. Why do you have these set to 0? You will need some buffering. Could you post a dump of the pipeline created by the playbin? (Set GST_DEBUG_DUMP_DOT_DIR - see http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gst-running.html)

If I leave the buffer settings at their defaults, then the whole stream breaks up and it keeps pausing to buffer every few seconds. If it makes any difference, the DVB TS is a live source.

I've attached a copy of the pipeline graph.

Thanks :-)

> Dunk
>
> On 31 December 2014 at 09:24, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com> wrote:
> I'm using the following pipeline to play a DVB TS:
>
>   gst-launch-1.0 playbin av-offset=0 buffer-size=0 buffer-duration=0 uri=http://dvb:4242/bysid/4352
>
> Some of the time the audio (which goes to alsasink) is choppy. In some cases this is barely noticeable, but at other times the audio is impossible to follow. It seems as if this is related to the pipeline starting, as if it starts ok the audio continues to work correctly for as long as I keep the pipeline active.
>
> The DVB stream always runs correctly using something like VLC.
>
> Running with GST_DEBUG=*:4 does not show any errors or warnings when the audio is breaking up.
>
> Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm running under 1.4.5.
>
> --
>
> Chris Tapp
> opensource at keylevel.com
> www.keylevel.com

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!