play file as it is being written

daviswalker dave at happybits.co
Thu Feb 27 18:02:06 PST 2014

I have an application that creates and writes out an MPEG-TS video file. I'm
interested in playing it back before the file has been fully written out and
closed. I'm particularly interested in playing it back over HTTP, although
I'd like to know how to do it with local files as well.

Simply using playbin I'm seeing that gstreamer will read the file, and stop
when it reaches EOF. If new data is subsequently added to the file this
isn't fed to the pipeline.

How would you recommend I play a file as its being written to?

Thanks very much.

Dave