VOD streaming using gstreamer

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Jan 3 03:00:48 PST 2014

On Do, 2014-01-02 at 23:49 -0800, Baby Octopus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to do VOD streaming of an mp4 file content using something
> like gst-rtsp-server?
>
> It is possible to some extent using test_mp4 application in gst-rtsp-server.
> But seeking is not possible here. So is there any way of doing proper VOD
> streaming for a YouTube kind of an application?
>
> I'm exploring the possibility here. Any views are welcome :)

So you want to do VOD with the RTSP protocol? gst-rtsp-server should be
able to do whatever you want, and seeking should be possible to be
implemented for non-shared media factories quite easily. Please create a
feature request for that in Bugzilla.

Otherwise you also have the options of many other streaming protocols.
DASH is the new thing these days, and you can use gst-streaming-server
for that for example. Or implement your own server around the MP4 muxer
and related elements.

Expertise, Straight from the Source