Improving video decoding performances

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Jan 9 06:59:43 PST 2014

On Mi, 2014-01-08 at 13:53 -0500, Eloi Bail wrote:
> Hi Sebastien,
>
> Thanks for your answer, and happy new year :)
> Please see comments inline
>

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com
> > wrote:
>
> > On Di, 2013-12-17 at 11:46 -0500, Eloi Bail wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am facing issues on CPU load while performing forward playback (2x)
> > > simultaneously on several pipelines (e.g 10), meaning my program is
> > > rendering 10 videos performing seeking on each one...
> > >
> > > It makes totally sense that CPU load is high. But my customer would
> > > like that I improve it :)
> > >
> > > Note : the soft is on windows with gstreamer sdk.
> >
> > I would recommend using the Windows binaries from
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.2.1/ as 0.10 is no
> > longer maintained. But that just as a remark.
> >

> We are switching to 1.2.1 version right now. But we are also using GES /
> Gnonlin.
> I noticed that they are not compiled for Windows. So we did it using
> Cerbero. Would it be possible to also automate those builds ?

You could build your own binaries of GStreamer with cerbero, and add the
GES and gnonlin recipes to a package. That way they will both be
included in the binary packages that are built.

Once GES and gnonlin had a stable 1.x release, they will be included in
the binaries provided by the GStreamer project.

> We can compile and link a test code available in Ges Git repo.
> Unfortunately, we see that gnonlin can not be found despite we add the dll
> in repo lib directory.

First of all you could check with gst-inspect-1.0.exe on the
libgstgnl.dll if it can be loaded at all. If not, that's to debug and
the GStreamer debug logs can be useful for that.
If it can be loaded, the problem is that it can't be automatically
found. Did you place it in the lib/gstreamer-1.0 directory where the
other dlls like libgstcorelements.dll are or elsewhere? It needs to be
in there or in the directory where the GST_PLUGIN_PATH environment
variable points to. A GStreamer debug log will also tell you where it
tries to locate the plugins.

Expertise, Straight from the Source