Looking for suggestions regarding dropped connection when using rtspsrc

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Jan 9 07:16:11 PST 2014

On Mi, 2014-01-08 at 06:56 -0800, fahad wrote:
> I am using an 'rtspsrc' to capture and encode streaming video. Everything
> seems to be working just fine so far. One option I would like to have is to
> ensure that if the RTSP connection drops out (e.g. unplug the cable or turn
> a switch off) I would like to detect that in my pipeline and replace the
> streaming video being captured by a static display for the duration of a
> recording session.
>
> Right now if I unplug the network cable, the pipeline just destroys itself,
> I would like some suggestions on how to go about handling this and figured I
> ask everyone on the Dev List for ideas.

You could put the source (and depayloader and decoder) in a custom bin
that catches (GstBin::handle_message()) the error message from the
source. And once it gets one it would dynamically unplug the source and
replace it with another source that outputs your static image.

Expertise, Straight from the Source